In Case of Food Emergency Plan!
Having an in case of food emergency plan ready to go is an important piece of recovery from food and weight struggles.
Moments have likely come up when you ask yourself: What do I do when I don’t know what to do AND I don’t want to fall off my plan?
Now that’s a question worth answering. Good for you for asking. As always, this is a not a problem. It’s a problem to be solved.
As the old adage says, “S**t happens.” Whether we like it or not. It’s our job to be armed and ready for these times. It’s also our job to remember that our goal in any tough time is to not make the situation worse.
Cue our IN CASE OF FOOD EMERGENCY skills.
In our experience, having a bunch of these on hand (and knowing that they work – practice, practice, practice) can help you to survive all sorts of icky and sticky situations.
A few ideas for your ICOE toolbox:
- Make a personal commitment statement and repeat it to yourself. Hint: a personal commitment statement answers the questions: why am I doing this?
- Remove yourself from the situation – a little personal “time out” can go a looooong way
- Listen to some of your favorite music (LOUDLY) – dance it out, sing it out, cry it out – whatever works!
- Take three deep breaths. Maybe lame sounding, but Beacon’s major muse Thich Nhat Hanh thinks this – and breathing in general – is the cure to just about everything.
- Find a fun YouTube video to take your mind somewhere else. We are LOVING on Carpool Karaoke.
- Like we talked about last week, call someone! Power Circles ROCK! Fun fact: We have a Beacon team member who called the cable guy last week because she needed to talk to someone to get out of her own head! Hey, if it works, don’t knock it!
A toolkit for your in case of food plan emergency is suchhhhh an important part of your recovery from your struggles with food and weight. And on top of that they are PROVEN to be what helps you achieve success. So, pleeeeeeeease don’t knock them until you’ve tried them – there is most definitely a skill that works for you. I virtually pinky swear.