RECIPE: BAKED AVOCADO TUNA CAKES
We love a good combination meal! The combo of avocado and tuna provides a delicious blend of goodness!
Plus a double source of omega-3s (and it makes the tuna cakes extra filling and juicy too). One can use chicken or salmon instead– and it is super simple. A splash of lime, handful of cilantro, and dash of hot sauce give the patties a zippy Southwest flair too. We have a keeper!
- 1 medium ripe avocado – peeled and pitted
- 2 cans Chicken of the Sea EZ-Open Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water – (5 ounce cans), drained
- 1/4 cup seasoned Ezekiel whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce – plus additional to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- Eziekiel buns – toasted, or a bed of mixed greens
- Sliced avocado – cheese, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, cilantro, salsa
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly mash the avocado. Add the tuna, bread crumbs, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, hot sauce, garlic powder, salt, and egg. Mix until the ingredients are fairly well combined. (It’s ok if the mixture is a little clumpy.)
- Form into 6 patties, then arrange the patties on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then continue baking until the outsides are lightly crisp and the cakes are cooked through, about 10 additional minutes. Enjoy warm.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat.
Recipe taken from: https://www.wellplated.com/tuna-cakes/