Recipe: Ground Turkey Taco Bowls
Dreaming of taco night? Look no further because this Beacon-friendly recipe rounds up delicious tacos without the flour!
If you’re looking for the perfect taco dish while staying far away from the tortillas, than this is the recipe for you. The dish comes from Wholesomeliciousness and uses simple ingredients. If you don’t feel like making the cauliflower rice from scratch feel free to use pre-made cauliflower rice to save yourself some time.
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey or beef
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chipotle powder optional
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth may need an additional 1/4 cup
- 1 large head of cauliflower*
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ – ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Fresh cilantro for garnish optional
- Begin by making the taco meat. You can make the cauliflower rice while the taco meat is cooking, or cook the cauliflower rice ahead of time. Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add oil and onion. Let cook for 2-3 minutes, then add in your ground turkey or beef. Continue to stir so the meat cooks evenly.
- While the meat is cooking, in a small bowl mix together all of your spices (chili powder through salt or chipotle powder). Once meat is no longer pink, add in your spices. Coat the meat with spices. Now mix in tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, and chicken broth. Bump up the heat just a tad and continue to mix everything until spices and liquid is evenly cooked. Reduce temperature to medium low. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes until most of the liquid is completely absorbed.
- For the Cauliflower Spanish Rice: Cut your cauliflower in half and in half again. Remove stem and discard. Chop the head of the cauliflower into chunks (1-2 inch pieces). Place inside a food processor and pulse. You probably need to do this in 2-3 batches. Between each batch, remove and set aside.
- Heat up a large skillet to medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes, then add garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in riced cauliflower, salt, and cumin. Stir around the veggie mixture to coat.Add in tomato paste, then ¼ cup broth, and bump up heat to medium high. continue to stir around until the tomato paste dissolves in the mixture. If the mixture is too dry, add in more broth by the tablespoon. If the mixture is slightly wet, continue to cook until the liquid dissolves.
- Make your taco bowls: Assemble the cauliflower rice on the bottom, then top with taco meat. Add in all of your favorite toppings: tomatoes, avocados, green onion, cilantro, salsa, lettuce, cheese, etc.
Recipe retrieved from: http://www.wholesomelicious.com/ground-turkey-taco-bowls-cauliflower-spanish-rice/