SPAGHETTI SQUASH BOATS
There are so many things to do with spaghetti squash and we love the texture and deliciousness of making a small squash into a whole meal with a mix of protein and veggies.
- 2 spaghetti squash, cut lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion (approx 1/2 small onion)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (4oz) can green chilis, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (I used Pepperjack, Colby, and Monterey)
- Optional: Extra cilantro for garnish
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
For the spaghetti squash boats:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brush spaghetti squash with one tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce and start preparing your filling.
- In a large sauté pan, add olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook another minute, or until garlic is fragrant. Stir in beans and chilis and cook until heated through.
- When squash is ready, scrape with a fork to create long strands.
- Spoon black bean mixture into squash boats. Top with cheese and place under the broiler for few minutes, until cheese is melted and slightly crispy. Top with enchilada sauce.
- Optional: Garnish with extra cilantro.
For the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Whisk in chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and oregano.
- Slowly pour in vegetable stock and whisk in tomato paste until lumps disappear.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Spoon sauce over spaghetti squash boats.
Recipe taken from: https://karalydon.com/recipes/vegetarian-enchilada-spaghetti-squash-boats-2/