Tuesday's Tips for Managing Binge Eating on the Weekends
While those 48 glorious hours of unstructured time can sure be a treat… many of us struggling with Binge Eating find it difficult to navigate our recovery without adequate structure. Here at Beacon we ran through a couple of wonky weekend scenarios with recommendations and skills to keep you in the game and winning!
So What Happens When…..
I hit snooze (sleep past my typically scheduled morning meal time)?
- Eat a well balanced recovery friendly meal within an hour of waking up
- Regulate meals/snacks every 3-4 hours
I am out until 2 am (studying of course) and I get hungry again?!
- Use your Wise Mind and pack an extra recovery friendly snack to keep up with meal regulation and to avert urges for the 3:00 AM diner special!
I miss a meal or snack in the weekend fun?
- If it has been less than an hour since your missed snack or meal, go ahead and have it! Proceed with meal regulation throughout the remainder of the day.
- Has it been more than an hour since you missed a meal or snack? Time for a recovery friendly meal! Continue to regulate accordingly.
Golden Rules for Structure Success:
- Consistency! It is best practice to keep your weekend meal plan and structure as close to your weekday routine as possible to avert Binge Eating episodes.
- Flexibility! Some weekend events will inevitably pull us away from our typical routine. There is always a version/modification of our plan that works.
- Always keep an extra recovery friendly snack or two on hand- keeping regulated is the name of the game!
In any circumstance, if you are feeling anxious over getting back to plan, reach out to your therapist, nutritionist, and/or trusted OA mentor to review the game plan for the remainder of the day!
For more great tips and skills to manage Binge Eating, follow us on Tuesday’s!